Slowest Homerun Trot
The Homerun trot is a staple in the MLB and we are starting to see players have rituals they perform after every homerun. Specifically, Fernando Tatis does his stutter step at third baseball.
I have decided to find out who takes the longest to round the bases. A couple players who came to mind include Salvador Perez and Vlad Jr. The three slowest players (according to Baseball Savant) are the following;
3. Manny Machado – 28 Sec
2. Sandy Leon – 28 Sec
1. Nelson Cruz – 28.3 Sec
- Nelson Cruz is no surprise … He’s a big body who cannot run very fast and literally gets paid to be a designated hitter.
- Sandy Leon is irrelevant, since he only has 2 Homeruns on the season.
- MANNY MACHADO! This actually surprised me, I did not expect him to be in this conversation.
Fastest Homerun Trot
I was expecting players like Bryce Harper, Trea Turner, and Byron Buxton in this conversation. Instead, I got the following;
3. Adam Eaton – 19.2 Seconds
2. Nick Solak – 18.9 Seconds
1. Tyler O’Neil – 18.6 Seconds
I decided to not include Billy Hamilton because he has only hit 1 homerun.
- Tyler O’Neil …. WOW! He does have a crazy sprint speed of 29.5 (ft/s), which is ranked top 2% in the MLB. The Canadian caught me off guard having the fastest homerun trot.
- Nick Solak was also a wildcard on this list! I was surprised to see Solak in the Top 7% in sprint speed.
- Adam Eaton did not come as a surprise, I have always noticed he rounds the bases fast when he hits a homerun.
Make sure you keep an eye on these players the next time they hit one out of the park!