Sports betting was legalized in the Hawkeye State in 2019, and the Iowa online sports betting market has expanded rapidly since then. There are 18 Iowa sports betting apps to choose from, and despite no professional teams to speak of, monthly handles are always profitable. Here’s a comprehensive breakdown of all of the available sportsbooks, new user bonuses, and best features to look forward to in the Iowa sports betting market!
Best Iowa Sports Betting Promo Codes
Iowa sports bettors have a vast array of sports betting apps from which to choose, and we’ve got five of the best listed below with links to claim their new user bonuses. Take advantage of the Iowa sports betting promo codes below!
|Sportsbook||New User Bonus||Promo|
|DraftKings Sportsbook Iowa||$1,050 Deposit Bonus||Claim Offer|
|BetMGM Iowa||$1,000 Risk-Free Bet||Claim Offer|
|Caesars Sportsbook Iowa||$1,250 First Bet + 2,000 Reward Credits||Claim Offer|
|BetRivers Iowa||$500 Risk-Free Bet||Claim Offer|
|Betfred Iowa||Bet $50, Get $250||Claim Offer|
|PointsBet Iowa||$2,000 Risk-Free Bets||Claim Offer|
Iowa Sports Betting Apps
Oh, mama! If you’re looking for variety, the Iowa sports betting market is chock full of it! The Hawkeye State is home to 17 different IA sports betting apps, and Iowa sports bettors can take advantage of each and every one. Elite Sportsbook and Betfred Sportsbook are available online only.
Let’s take a look at what each one has to offer.
BetMGM is one of the most popular sportsbooks in the US sports betting market for a reason. Favorable odds and consistent, engaging promotions will keep Iowa sports bettors coming back for more.
BetMGM plans online sports betting launches in Kansas & Ohio. It is live in:
*Online pending; retail open
— Ryan Butler (@ButlerBets) May 12, 2022
New users in the Iowa sports betting market can sign-up with the BetMGM bonus code ‘OWNERSBOX’ and activate a risk-free bet of up to $1,000. This is just the first of many bonuses users get to unlock.
Look out for BetMGM as they get ready to launch in the Kansas and Ohio online sports betting markets.
Despite an outdated interface, BetRivers sports an easy-to-use application and strong live betting features that include streaming for select events. Iowa sports bettors can wager on the Iowa Hawkeyes while watching the game, all through the BetRivers Iowa sports betting app.
Click the banner below, use the BetRivers promo code ‘250MATCH’ to get a deposit match bonus up to $250.
Caesars Sportsbook Iowa
Perhaps no sportsbook focuses more on customer experience than Caesars IA. Iowa sports bettors will enjoy the top-notch rewards program that really makes users feel like they’re getting true bang for their buck.
Who are you riding with to win the WNBA Championship? 🏀✍️ pic.twitter.com/NNxU9elnh0
— Caesars Sportsbook (@CaesarsSports) August 15, 2022
The rewards program at Caesars Sportsbook Iowa is just the tip of the iceberg. New users can use the Caesars Sportsbook promo code ‘OWNERSBOXFULL’ and get a first bet on Caesars up to $1,250 + 1,000 reward credits + 1,000 tier credits.
DraftKings Sportsbook Iowa
DraftKings Sportsbook has it all: variety, sleek interface, a ton of promotions and an excellent free-to-play experience. The only knock is its lackluster new user offer in Iowa online sports betting markets, but bettors shouldn’t have any other complaints about this industry giant.
PointsBet Sportsbook Iowa
PointsBet has a great selection of daily and continual promotions that Iowa sports bettors will love! PointsBet sports a large variety of different wagers including a massive futures market.
The PointsBet Sportsbook promo unlocks the biggest offer in the Iowa online sports betting market.
Other Iowa Online Sportsbooks
Bally Bet Sportsbook
Bally Bet creates its lines in-house, so Iowa bettors can grab friendly lines on occasion. One of the best features of this sportsbook is its social betting, which allows users to interact with friends and comment on hits, misses and big wins.
Barstool leans heavily into its brand with Barstool Sportsbook, and users will be treated to frequent promotions from founder Dave Portnoy and Pardon My Take host Big Cat. The problem with the promotions is quantity over quality, even though it is considered as one of the top IA sports betting apps.
Among B1G Ten states:
– New Jersey, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois & Iowa have/will have multiple online sportsbooks
– Wisconsin & Nebraska have/will have retail sportsbooks
– Minnesota won't have any legal betting options until at least 2023
— Ryan Butler (@ButlerBets) May 23, 2022
The European sportsbook has been around since 2006 and is now making its way into the North American sports betting market. Betway sports a massive number of offerings and a solid live betting experience for Iowa users.
Circa boasts the world’s largest sportsbook in Las Vegas, but the app isn’t quite as lavish. With no new user offers or promotions to speak of, Circa makes up for those shortcomings with a high stakes wagering experience.
DRF is a newcomer on the sports betting block and is available exclusively in Iowa. The platform has provided horse racing news and statistics since 1984 and is now making its move into the sports betting realm.
On par with DraftKings as an industry titan, FanDuel Sportsbook offers seamless wallet integration between its sportsbook and DFS platforms, a strong variety of sports and wagers and one of the most easily navigable and sharpest looking interfaces in the business. This is the easiest Iowa sports betting app to navigate bar-none.
Fubo Sportsbook’s best feature is definitely its LiveSync that pairs a quality live betting experience with fuboTV to allow users to watch the games they’re betting on.
Hard Rock Sportsbook
Hard Rock Sportsbook is great for new sports bettors in the Iowa sports betting market. Though the site boasts just a $100 risk-free bet and a limited selection of sports on which to bet, the app is simple and easy to use making for a great new-user experience.
Q Sportsbook’s $300 deposit bonus won’t knock your socks off, but the app is super easy to use, and Q boasts an awesome loyalty and rewards program.
Unibet has been around for 25 years with an immaculate reputation in Europe. International sportsbooks have found their footing in North America and with a massive offering of sports and bet types as well as a pristine track record, Iowa sports bettors are sure to love it!
Iowa Online Sports Betting Apps Rated
With so many different sportsbooks available in Iowa, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. To narrow things down a bit, we took a look at five of the biggest books, noted their best features and assigned them a rating on a scale of 1-to-10. Is live betting your thing? BetRivers might be for you. If rewards are at the top of your priorities list, look no further than Caesars. Take a look at the table below to help you sort out which sportsbook is best for you!
|DraftKings Iowa||DraftKings has an impressive resume as an innovator in the DFS space, and it has leveraged that name and pedigree into a sportsbook that has few notable deficiencies.||9/10|
|BetMGM Iowa||If you’re the type of bettor who loses interest quickly, BetMGM is right up your alley. The constant stream of promotions and boosts ensures that users will stay engaged.||9/10|
|Caesars Iowa||Caesars is an industry leader in user rewards, drawing on its foundations as a world-class casino to provide a superb user experience.||8/10|
|BetRivers Iowa||BetRivers’ live betting and streaming experience is one of the best in the sports betting industry.||8/10|
|PointsBet Iowa||Much like Iowa’s vast sports betting market, PointsBet has a similarly vast array of sports and bet types. Don’t forget about the unique daily and ongoing promotions!||9/10|
Iowa Sports Betting Promo Codes & Bonuses
Almost all of Iowa’s 18 sports betting platforms offer new user bonuses, and no two apps are created equally. Here are some of the most common new user bonuses you’ll see when you register at an Iowa sports betting app:
- Deposit match – Make your first deposit, and the sportsbook will match it dollar-for-dollar in site credit. Every app has different requirements, so make sure to read the fine print. You may have a time limit on when you need to use your matched funds or restrictions on the types of wagers you can make.
- Risk-free bet – Sportsbooks typically offer insurance for a new user’s first bet in the form of a risk-free bet. If your first bet loses, you’ll get your stake back in site credit. Again, there’s often strings attached such as a playthrough requirement, so make sure to check out the full details of the offer.
Once you’re in, sportsbooks will want to keep you coming back. Some of the most common promotions offered include:
- Odds boosts – Books often offer daily boosts to put a little more money in the user’s pocket. An odds boost makes the odds longer on a wager without decreasing the chances of that bet winning. Let’s say the Hawkeyes are heavy favorites over the Cyclones and have -300 odds on the Moneyline. An odds boost would move that line to +200 for the Hawkeyes, letting the bettor get plus-money odds on a team that’s still heavily favored.
- Free bets – Sometimes, sportsbooks will provide users with a free bet to be used on a certain slate or tentpole event. These free bets can win the bettor actual money that can be withdrawn or used on another wager.
How to Sign-Up at an Iowa Sports Betting App
To sign up at an Iowa sportsbook, make sure you have the following information:
- Full name (as it appears on your license or government ID)
- Date of birth
- Physical address
- Valid email address
- Last four digits of your social security number (SSN)
Some tips when signing up:
- Make sure to leave location tracking on
- Be prepared to send a picture of your license or government ID if further identity verification is needed
- Create a strong password to protect your information and your funds
- Scout your apps ahead of time to ensure you select the best one for you
- Make sure to claim your new user bonus before it expires
Iowa Online Sports Betting Rules
The Iowa sports betting rules are standard among states with legalized sports betting. Iowa sports bettors must be 21 and physically located within state borders.
Unlike the New York online sports betting market and New Jersey, Iowa allows betting on in-state college teams. Player props for college athletes are prohibited, which is a standard practice in the sports betting industry.
Retail Sports Betting Locations in Iowa
Iowa is home to 19 retail casinos, and 10 of them are affiliated with BetMGM, Caesars, DraftKings, BetRivers, and PointsBet. If you want to bet in person and wager with an affiliate of your choice, we’ve got you covered below:
- Catfish Bend Casino, 3001 Winegard Dr, Burlington, IA 52601 PointsBet
- Diamond Jo Worth Casino, 777 Diamond Jo Lane, Northwood, IA 50459 BetMGM
- Harrah’s Council Bluffs, 1 Harrah’s Blvd, Council Bluffs, IA 51501 Caesars
- Horseshoe Council Bluffs, 2701 23rd Ave, Council Bluffs, IA 51501 Caesars
- Isle Casino Hotel Bettendorf, 1777 Isle Pkwy, Bettendorf, IA 52722 Caesars
- Isle of Capri Casino Waterloo, 777 Isle of Capri Blvd, Waterloo, IA 50701 Caesars
- Prairie Meadows Caesars, 1 Prairie Meadows Dr, Altoona, IA 50009 Caesars
- Wild Rose Clinton, 777 Wild Rose Dr, Clinton, IA 52732 DraftKings
- Wild Rose Emmetsburg, 777 Main St, Emmetsburg, IA 50536 DraftKings
- Wild Rose Jefferson, 777 Wild Rose Dr, Jefferson, IA 50129 DraftKings
Sports Betting History in Iowa
The history of Iowa online sports betting is short and sweet – just the way sports bettors like it! Here’s a timeline of the events that led to legalization and some of the modifications to the sports betting rules that have been made since 2019.
- February 2019: IA SB 1168 and IA HB 198 are proposed to the Iowa Senate and Iowa House of Representatives respectively to legalize sports betting.
- April 2019: IA SF 617 passes the House and Senate, leaving only Governor Kim Reynolds’ signature.
- July 31, 2019: After some additional changes, the final draft of the sports betting bill is signed into law.
- August 15, 2019: The first legal sports bet is placed at AmeriStar Sportsbook by Tim Dwight, a former Iowa receiver and 10-year NFL veteran.
- December 2019 – All of Iowa’s 19 casinos will be able to accept sports betting, with each receiving two skins.
- January 1, 2021 – Iowa sports bettors can register for new accounts exclusively online, eliminating the prior requirement to register in-person.
- March 2021 – All of Iowa’s casinos can now offer a third betting skin.
- March 2022 – Thanks to HSB 200 and HF 2497, Iowa sports betting now allows additional bet types and legalizes betting on esports for the first time.
Can You Bet on College Sports in Iowa?
College sports betting is legal in Iowa, including betting on in-state colleges. Iowa sports bettors can wager on the Iowa Hawkeyes, Iowa State Cyclones, Northern Iowa Panthers or Drake Bulldogs, but betting on player props of college athletes is prohibited.
This is quite common in the sports betting world now. Typically, sports betting apps haven’t allowed in-state wagering on collegiate sports betting
Is Online Sports Betting Legal in Iowa?
Online sports betting has been legal in Iowa since 2019. As of January 2021, users no longer need to register for an online account at a retail location. New accounts can be registered exclusively online.
How Many Sportsbooks are in Iowa?
There are 17 Iowa online sportsbooks, and 15 of them offer betting apps. The full list can be found below:
- Bally Bet Sportsbook
- Barstool Sportsbook
- BetMGM Sportsbook
- BetRivers Sportsbook
- Betway Sportsbook
- Caesars Sportsbook
- Circa Sportsbook
- DraftKings Sportsbook
- DRF Sportsbook
- FanDuel Sportsbook
- Fubo Sportsbook
- Hard Rock Sportsbook
- PointsBet Sportsbook
- Q Sportsbook
- Unibet Sportsbook