The Bay State might just want to update its name to the “Play State” as Massachusetts sports betting became legalized on August 1, 2022 after much deliberation. Neighboring states New York, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New Hampshire have all legalized sports betting, so Massachusetts’ legalization was inevitable. Massachusetts online sports betting is on the horizon and will launch on March 10th, 2023. As launch approaches, we’ll take a look at all of the options Massachusetts bettors will soon be able to enjoy.
Massachusetts Sports Betting Apps
Massachusetts sports betting hasn’t launched, but we can anticipate that when it does, it will offer some of the biggest sportsbooks already available in other states. Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) giant DraftKings (which now has its own sportsbook) is headquartered in Boston.
Massachusetts online sports betting operators likely to move forward:
👉Barstool Sportsbook, BetMGM, WynnBet have access already with their casino deals.
👉DraftKings, FanDuel, Caesars seems obvious.
Nine likely remaining operator spots. Will Fanatics go after a license?
— RLinnehanXL (@RLinnehanXl) August 1, 2022
DraftKings Sportsbook looks to be a major player in the Massachusetts sports betting market. BetMGM has a casino in Springfield, so it’s likely the sportsbook becomes available when Massachusetts sports betting launches. Below are four of the top sportsbooks in the US and Canada and the new user bonuses they’ll likely offer when they launch.
MA Sports Betting Apps Coming Soon
|Caesars Sportsbook Massachusetts||$1,500 First Bet Offer|
|BetMGM Massachusetts||$1,000 First Bet Offer|
|DraftKings Sportsbook Massachusetts||Bet $5, Win $200|
BetMGM Massachusetts Promo
BetMGM Massachusetts promo is live! Get $1,000 first bet offer when you sign-up today
Enjoy an easy-to-use mobile app, along with a plethora of betting options every single day. Click the banner below to sign-up today!
Caesars Sportsbook Massachusetts Promo Code
Caesars enters yet another state with one of the more competitive sports betting offers. Claim this Massachusetts sports betting promo code and get a $1,500 first bet on Caesars.
Caesars Sportsbook offers one of the best mobile apps on the market, and with a welcome offer like that, it’s a no-brainer. Sign-up with Caesars Sportsbook Massachusetts promo code OWNERSBOX1BET and get a $1,500 first bet.
DraftKings Massachusetts Promo
As the place where DraftKings started, it’s about damn time they allowed online sports betting. DraftKings Massachusetts will most likely dominate the market considering its brand awareness.
Along with the easiest sports betting interface to navigate, they offer a great Massachusetts sports betting bonus. Bet $5 on any market, get $200 in bonus bets instantly. The bet doesn’t even need to settle. Click the banner below to get started.
Massachusetts Sports Betting Updates
Now that Massachusetts sports betting has finally been approved, here’s a quick look at how we got here.
- January 2021: Sports betting is included in Governor Charlie Baker’s budget proposal. Baker, a longtime proponent of sports betting, set the legalization process in motion.
- July 2021: A sports betting bill is passed by the Massachusetts House of Representatives and sent to the Senate.
- August 2021: Massachusetts Senate announces that the sports betting bill won’t be taken into consideration during the summer session, delaying legalization.
- April 2022: More than nine months after the first bill is approved by the House of Representatives, the Senate Ways and Means Committee approves another sports betting bill. There is additional discussion and debate regarding this bill and the differences between it and the 2021 bill.
- July 2022: Lawmakers meet throughout June and July with hopes of approving the sports betting bill by the end of the legislative session on July 31.
- August 2022: Massachusetts lawmakers approve a bill that legalizes sports betting in the Old Colony State. There is no official launch date, but Massachusetts sports betting could launch as soon as February 2023.
- February 2022: Massachusetts retail sports betting goes live on January 31st, 2023 – MGM Springfield, Encore Boston Harbor, and Plainridge Park Casino were the three brick and mortar locations that started to take bets.
- March 2022: Massachusetts online sports betting is set to launch on Marc 10th, 2023 at 10 AM EST with BetMGM, Caesars Sportsbook, DraftKings, and other sportsbooks entering the state.
Massachusetts Sports Betting Promo Codes & Bonuses
When sports betting officially launches in Massachusetts, bettors in the Bay State can look forward to plenty of promotions that will pique their interest. Those include:
- Odds boosts: Odds boosts are typically offered daily by major sportsbooks, and nearly every sportsbook offers odds boosts around tentpole events such as the Super Bowl or NBA Finals. An odds boost gives bettors longer odds on a wager to offer a bigger payday. If the Patriots are playing the Jets, and New England is -300 on the Moneyline as big favorites, a $300 wager would only win $100. An odds boost on the Pats might move the line to +120, meaning that same $300 bet would win $360. The terms of the wager haven’t changed, but you can now win 3.6x more on a heavy favorite.
- Risk-free bet: A risk-free bet ensures that the bettor will get money back on his wager, regardless of the outcome of the wager. Let’s say you’re a new customer, and the sportsbook offers a $1,000 risk-free bet. You bet $1,000 on the Pats to cover the spread at -7.5 against the Dolphins. The Dolphins score a garbage-time touchdown, and New England wins by just five points. You lost the bet, but the sportsbook will credit your account $1,000 in site credit to be used on a future bet. In most markets, the Caesars Sportsbook promo code unlocks the biggest risk-free bet.
- Deposit match: A popular new-user offer that gives new users double their money. Most deposit matches are not cash matches, and they’re usually in the form of site credit. For example, a $250 deposit match might involve the user depositing that much in cash to receive the same amount in site credit. Some deposit matches require a play-through of the original funds and often a play-through of double those funds or even more. BetRivers is known for their deposit match bonus, however, it is unclear if they are entering the MA online sports betting market.
After signing up and taking advantage of the new user offers, Massachusetts sports bettors can wager in any of the following ways.
- Moneyline: This is the simplest bet on the market. Who will win the game? A Moneyline bet doesn’t take total score or point spread into consideration.
- Point total: Betting on the point total is usually called an over/under bet. If the point total for the Patriots and Jets is set at 30.5, and the final score is Pats 16, Jets 15, the total score of the game is 31. The bet would hit the over.
- Point spread: A spread bet is placed on the margin of victory or loss for either team in a game. If the Patriots are -7.5 against the Jets, they need to win the game by at least eight points to cover the spread. If the Pats win by seven points or less or outright lose, the Jets cover.
- Parlay: A parlay is a combination of two or more individual bets in which each bet (called a leg) must win in order for the parlay to win. The odds of the bets are combined, so two bets with -110 odds combined into a two-leg parlay have odds of +265. Bettors can win more money by combining wagers rather than betting them individually, making parlays a high-risk/high-reward venture.
Massachusetts Online Sports Betting Rules
Sports betting rules are standard in Massachusetts compared to the rules implemented by other states. Bettors must be at least 21 years old. Wagering on high school or youth athletics is prohibited. Wagering on college sports is allowed but wagering on in-state colleges such as Boston College, Harvard, or UMass is not.
Retail Sports Betting Locations in Massachusetts
Massachusetts retail sports betting is currently home to three casinos:
- Encore Boston Harbor located at 1 Broadway, Everett, MA 02149
- Plainridge Park Casino located at 301 Washington Street, Plainville, MA 02762
- MGM Springfield located at Springfield, MA 1 Mgm Way, Springfield, MA 01103
All three casinos are eligible for sports betting licenses, and we can expect all of them to partner with a major sportsbook. MGM will surely partner with BetMGM Sportsbook, while Encore Boston Harbor and Plainridge Park Casino will have their picks of other major sportsbooks such as DraftKings, Caesars and PointsBet Sportsbook.
Can You Bet on College Sports in Massachusetts?
The Massachusetts sports betting bill allows bettors to wager on college sports so long as the schools are not in-state institutions. That prohibits Massachusetts sports bettors from placing wagers on any of the numerous colleges and universities within the state’s borders.
Is Online Sports Betting Legal in Massachusetts?
Online sports betting is legal, and the state will receive 15 online licenses as part of the recently approved sports betting bill.
Projections for (some) of Massachusetts' 15 online sports betting licenses:
WynnBet (if it wants it)
Gamewise (Delaware North)
— Ryan Butler (@ButlerBets) August 2, 2022
What Sports Betting Apps Can I Use in Massachusetts?
Massachusetts online sports betting has not yet launched, but it could as soon as February 2023. Based on the sportsbooks available in neighboring states such as New York, we can expect the following to be in consideration for one of the state’s seven available licenses:
- FanDuel Sportsbook
- DraftKings Sportsbook
- PointsBet Sportsbook
- Caesars Sportsbook
- BetMGM Sportsbook
- FOX Bet
- BetRivers Sportsbook
- Barstool Sportsbook
- Fubo Sportsbook